A car accident can be traumatizing to victims. It can change your life suddenly and leave you unable to return to work. If you have sustained injuries in a car accident, you have more than stress to deal with. Medical treatment is not cheap and if you cannot go to work after your accident, you can be drained financially. Fortunately, a car accident lawyer colorado springs can help you navigate your options and help you recover the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Your lawyer knows you have become vulnerable because of the accident, so they will handle the paperwork for you, answer any questions you may have, and demand what is right.
Reimbursements You May Qualify for If You Can’t Work After a Car Crash
If you sustain an injury in a car wreck that makes it impossible for you to work, your insurance company may pay for your lost wages. Often, getting these benefits will depend on your injury and your insurance carrier. However, you generally qualify for the following reimbursements:
- Lost wages. If awarded to you, the insurance company will pay you lost wages during the time you cannot work.
- Lost earning capacity. This refers to money you lost because of your injury. This can be granted to you after suffering from a serious injury that results in a long-term disability.
- Lost opportunities. If you lost an employment or payment opportunity because of your injury, you may be entitled to compensation for this.
What You Need to Do to Get the Compensation You Need
If you are unable to work because of your injury caused by someone else’s negligence, you must do the following to get proper compensation:
- Get a report from your doctor. Your doctor’s report should acknowledge that your injury prevented you from working. Also, it must detail your injury and how long you could not work because of it. Make sure the report includes any treatments, medical bills, and prescriptions.
- Obtain an employer report. Your employer should also verify that you were not able to work because of your injuries. This report could be a schedule of shifts or tax returns, depending on your field of work.
- Get a copy of the official police report. You need to offer a copy of a Colorado Springs police report of your car accident. The report should at least mention any injuries that will support your claim.